|Suitable for high-resolution AudioPro-Ject Stream Box DS
Highend audio with Wi-Fi, LAN, USB sources
Box Control: full control of Stream Box
• Audiophile grade 24bit/192 kHz highend audio streaming client
For more information visit: www.boxcontrol.it
• Ethernet & WLAN
• Meets the Standards UPnP & DLNA 1.0/1.5
• USB input for flash memory and hard disk drives
• USB input for Apple devices using digital out
• Internetradio with automatic detection of local stations
• “Gapless“ playback for all formats
• Luxury 3,5” TFT colour display that shows album cover art
• Solid metal casework protects sensible electronics from vibration and RF interference
• Gold plated RCA connectors
• Wall-plug power supply (included)
• Control via IR remote (included) or Plug-Player, SongBook, Chorus DS, ...
• Internetradio plattform: vTuner built-in
• Using streaming services, like Spotify, Deezer, Grooveshark, Simfy, ...with Jamcast software
• Direct streaming from portable devices using iMediaShare
• AIFF & AAC cover art supported
• DC power supply (< 1 watt standby power)
• Additional menue languages (Portuguese, Spanish, Russian, Italian, Chinese, French, Dutch)
SRP: € 699,00
New Firmware for Stream Box Family
Box Control App for iOS & Android 1.0 FINAL now available! (07/2013)
Box Control App for Android
Stream Box: FLAC and other PC audio miracles
Box Control: Android- and iOS-App special for Stream Box!
Stream Box: tips for best performance
Upgrade Stream Box DS to Stream Box DS net
18.04.2014: New Firmware Version 220.127.116.11 available!
You can update the Firmware at "Settings" - "General" - "Software Update".
Use Spotify & Airplay on Stream Box
Get Airplay functionality for Stream Box
detailed Information for Download
Use Spotify & Co on Stream Box DS
„Jamcast“ installed on PC/Notebook makes your Stream Box DS a multifunctional „Wireless Soundcard“ (with a lot more features than Apple‘s Airplay)!
detailed Information for Download
Stream Box DS multiroom application
Combine several Stream Box DS to a multiroom audio system with Windows Media Player 12 (Windows 7 PC)!
Audiophile playback because of Stream Box DS.
In each zone different music at the same time!
detailed Information for Download
Stream music from Smartphone to Stream Box DS
„iMediashare“ makes it possible to transfer your music directly from Smartphone to Stream Box DS!
detailed Information for Download
Note: iOS version is not working correctly with Stream Box DS. When selecting music from iTunes library, App crashes and shows abnormal end. iMediaShare is informed and is working on a solution. As an alternative, it is possible to stream audio from iPod/iPhone/iPad using newest version of Plug-Player Version (4.1.0), which is also able to send music to Stream Box DS. Android version of iMediaShare is not affected and works perfectly!
FAQ - Hints for using Stream Box DS
Q: Why can't i see my Favorites under Internet-Radio and why can't i generate a new Access Code? Why i get "empty" or "Server Error" when i browse Radio Stations?
A: Some Internet Provider have slow DNS-Servers and therefore you get a timeout when you want to access vTuner. Change the DNS-Server of your Internet-Router to an alternative free DNS-Server (eg. 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124). This DNS-Servers are provided by Google and are very fast.
Q: What is the maximum size of a hard disk connected on the USB-Port of the Stream Box?
A: The maximum size of a hard disk (or USB-Stick) connected on the USB-Port of the Streamer can be up to 8 Terabyte. A single music file cannot be larger than 4 Gigabyte.
Q: I cannot see my Windows-PC under Media Server.
A: Make sure that media sharing in Windows Media Player is enabled.
Go to “Streaming” – “Turn on media streaming” (Windows 7) or “Library” – “Media Sharing”.
Q: The USB hard disk or storage media is not recognized by the Stream Box DS.
A: Check whether it is formatted FAT32 and not exFAT or NTFS.
With a larger Storage than 32GB you need a special tool to format it as FAT32 (eg. Fat32Formatter).
Q: How can I update the Firmware?
A: From the main menu of the Stream Box DS choose "Settings" - "General" - "Software Update".
Q: Why does not support the Stream Box NTFS?
A: FAT32 is the standard filesystem for all music players, digital cams, printers etc. and therefore the best compatible filesystem for all devices. NTFS support more features e.g. security info and therefore it can make troubles. FAT32 has no disadvantages compared to NTFS which are relevant in the audio world.
Q: Why does the PJ Box Control APP work on Streambox DS without upgrading to NetAPI?
A: Because Box Control APP is based on UPnP standards, it allows to control and browse the stream (music content). It does not allow to control all functions of the unit itself. Therefore internet radio cannot be controlled and there is no gapless playback functionality. The overall performance and speed of the PJ Box Control APP is much better with NetAPI, compared to standard UPnP.
Q: Why I must pay € 100,- for the upgrade?
A: The NetAPI upgrade is a whole new software package, which allows us to implement more and better features for actual and future developments. For example: It will allow you to get also one of our new coming remote boxes which allows you to control a whole box design system including CD Player, analogue Preamp as well as your TV with one app. Additionally playback of ALAC files is possible as well as Gapless with NetAPI, when using the PJ Box Control APP for Stream Box control.
You don’t loose any money, because Streambox DSnet (with NetAPI) costs exactly € 100,- more anyway. Streambox Dsnet with the NetAPI is not only an audiophile grade streamer, it is also one of the best streamers on the market in terms of easiness and speed of control.
Q: What is to consider to use GAPLESS?
A: The GAPLESS playback between 2 tracks works when the music is played from an USB storage device.
If the music is played from an UPnP Server (eg. Twonky) GAPLESS only works with the remote control or with our Box Control App over NetAPI.
To use NetAPI you have to upgrade your Stream Box DS to DS net.
With a normal UPnP-Control-App (eg. PlugPlayer) GAPLESS is not possible.
Q: What is necessary to play FLAC files with 24Bit/192KHz without interruptions?
A: For music files with high data rates (even WAV files) a LAN connection is necessary because WiFi-G has too less bandwidth.
Further necessary is a powerful NAS-System or a fast USB storage.
Avoid retranscoding music by the server, because this can also cause dropouts.
Q: What is to consider at the Router?
A: You can use either wireless (WLAN) or wired (LAN) connection, but by principle LAN connections are more reliable than WLAN.
If wireless is your choice, use at least Wifi „G“ or mixed “G/N”routers and channels 1 to 11. If you face speed problems on specific channels, switch to another.
Q: What is to consider at the UPnP/DLNA-Server?
A: Twonky media server or Asset UPnP will give perfect results. Many DLNA servers can be enabled for transcoding of the original signal to another file format. This changes the integrity of original signal and requires a lot of processing power in NAS systems.
Transcoding may lead to drop-outs in playback, so please make sure transcoding is not enabled!
Q: What is to consider at the NAS (Network Attached Storage)?
A: Main CPU of network attached storage device should have at least 1GHz for playback of HD music without dropouts (QNAP-NAS consistently have reliable quality with Twonky pre-installed).
There are no restrictions for the file system as the NAS takes over the management of the files.
Q: How can I access my iTunes library with the Stream Box?
A: To access the music of your iTunes library you have also to install an UPnP/DLNA media server like Twonky. When you configure the media server, the iTunes folder, where the music is stored, must be specified.
Q: What is to consider at Audio Playback and Ripping Formats?
A: HD music files (24 bit/88,2 - 192kHz) have audio quality like in the recording studio and are available from diverse online sources.
Second best are uncompressed file formats created from CD source. WAV is a 1:1 copy of CD‘s audio with best sound quality, but no tag information or album art will be displayed. Lossless audio formats like FLAC & ALAC offer the same audio quality as WAV, but need only 60% of hard-disk space and show album art plus track/artist information.
PLEASE NOTE: FLAC offers 8 levels of lossless compression, levels 4 to 8 give best results. With compression levels 1 to 3 you will get NO playback, because of excessively high data rates (please use WAV instead)! Please also make sure that album cover art graphic is smaller than 800kbyte, bigger files will not be displayed! ALAC does need Twonky or Asset UPnP as server for playback. Please avoid lossy compressed file formats, like MP3 or AAC, if you are forced to use these, select highest bitrate (320 kbit/sec) to get playback quality near CD. All suggested ripping formats (except WAV) are able to display cover art and metadata, if these information is available from online data base (CDDB, Gracenote,…), when ripping.
Q: What is to consider at the CD Ripping Software?
A: We strongly recommend to use high quality ripping programs and the best available audio formats to store music onto computer or network. There are many different programs for download, which can be used as ripping and playback software (iTunes, Windows media player, foobar2000, EAC…). If you want to be sure to get a bit-perfect copy, please activate “Ripping Security” in foobar2000, dBpoweramp or Exact Audio Copy (EAC).
Q: What is to consider at Home Recordings from analogue sources?
A: If you record your own files from vinyl or analogue tape, you are able to transfer the original quality by using 24bit depth and higher sampling rate (96 to 192kHz). High quality recording software needs not to be expensive, we recommend Audacity combined with high quality audio interface like Phono Box USB V.
Q: Is it possible to play WAV- or M4a-Files?
A: WAV-Files (Fileextension .wav) or MPEG-4 Audio (Fileextension .m4a) are container formats. WAV-Files contains LPCM-Audio files and M4a-Files can contain AAC- and ALAC audio files.
10.11.2011: 4.0.19 Info
• AIFF playback implementation
• full FLAC 176/24 support
• album art display with AAC files embedded
• album art display with AIFF files embedded
• multilanguage font for Russian and Chinese filenames and metadata
• support of Linn’s uncompressed FLAC192 files (bit rate 9000 kBit)
• improvement on FLAC192 files via USB
• dramatically improved behaviour with FLAC192
• improvement with external control points
• dramatically improved overall system stability
• additional languages implemented: Portuguese, Spanish, Russian, Italian, Chinese, French, Dutch
• increased system heap to increase the performance
• corrected device name and USB input names in Chinese, Spanish and French translation
• corrected UPnP friendly name in Chinese translation
• added some missing strings in Spanish translation
• various corrections in Dutch translation
• exchanged device icons for the network view in Vista and Win7 and for listings on external control points
• track ends not cut anymore when using external control points
• implemented setNextAvTransportUri
• fixed a problem with FLAC-files with big cover arts
• further small bug fixes and optimizations
• improved support for AAC-files with 96KHz
• Implemented improved support for high bitrate FLAC192/24 files (up to level Zero)
• Implemented network optimizations for higher throughput in Gigabit environments
• Increased amount of available memory and processor power while playback for ultimate performance
• Aligned playback progress bar with better resolution and increased size of album art
• Bigger album art in play view (no mirror effect)
• Fixed playback issue with AIFF- & WAV-Files controlled via UPnP
Pro-Ject Audio Systems has no influence on the mentioned third-party software (e.g. Jamcast, PlugPlayer) and therefore cannot guarantee a proper operating of this software. The use of this third-party software is at your own risk, although we recommend it. Liability claims have to be asserted at the third-party software manufacturer, Pro-Ject Audio Systems disclaims all liability in this regard.
Last update 18.04.2015